lunes, mayo 22, 2006

Bye-byes.

This past December I started work at one of the most notorious language institutes in Santiago. I’d heard of its reputation as the fast food version of English Language Teaching, but I was desperate for a job that would offer me a work visa. Well, no, that’s not entirely true. I could have just left the country every 3 months. But I’d just upheaved my life from Singapore to the US and then from the US to Chile. I hardly had the energy to take a bus ride into Argentina when my tourist visa ran out. I came to Chile in the summer – not a good time to look for English teaching jobs. Everyone is on vacation, nobody takes classes. No institute wants to commit to sponsoring a foreigner during the summer months. I was lucky to get an offer.

To put it lightly, I didn’t have high hopes for the place. But, at the end of the day, boy was I impressed! Oh, don’t get me wrong. We were proverbially deep-frying the past perfect and present continuous 4 classes a night, 5 days a week. Whoever told me about the fast food English teaching was spot-on.

I digress.

The reason I was so taken aback was the people I met - teachers and students, but teachers especially. I said it to some of you before and I’ll say it again. I have never been surrounded by such a large concentration of sweet, creative, intelligent, entertaining people in a work environment. Never in my entire life! At first I thought it’d be such a drag teaching the night shift 5 days a week. You guys made me look forward to going to work every day!

Good luck, take care, and please keep in touch.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anónimo said...

hey L..

like your blog...i am going to look back at the archives now.. so true what you said about the place where we work...a rare and surprising bunch of people thats true...and so talented i think!

ps. i LOVE neverending story too...i decided to name my future child atrayu long ago...i don't care what anyone thinks..ha!

jo

1:52 p. m.  
Blogger LNR said...

Jo,

Should have come out with us last night. It was fun!

If you actually do name your first boy Atreyu, I think you should know that I also decided long ago to name my first boy Bastian (really, no kidding!). Whenever that happens, these two gotta meet!

5:49 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home